Monday, December 28, 2009
1) Amazon recognizes AMEX giftcards as a credit card, and they only allow 1 credit card to make a purchase
2) I had to purchase an Amazon giftcard using my debit card for the remainder price of the camera
3) stupid AMEX doesn't tell you that for online purchases you should first register your card, so Amazon has taken $1 from my giftcard during the verification process and won't refund it for 7 days.
4) since they took that $1, I'm now $.49 SHORT of my stupid order, and had to buy another $5 (lowest amount) Amazon giftcard to cover the balance.
I've spent more time on the phone today with Indian, than Indian people.
Jack and I were out and about running errands yesterday and he insisted that I treat myself to Wendy's on the way home. Who I am to question the logic of an 8 month old? About 1 mile from home he made it clear that he was SLEEPY. Upon getting in to the house, he made it clear that he was also POOPING.
He's been having painful poops for a few days, and when it's happening he insists on being picked up and will freak out if set down. I picked him up and held him in my arms while he was still wearing his jacket and shoes. I decided to breastfeed him thinking that would calm him down enough to then change his diaper. Turns out he was SO sleepy that he fell right asleep, and there begins my actions that brought me the mother of the year award.
I realized if he was sooooo tired he probably needed sleep more than a diaper change. I decided that I would put him in his crib (with likely a poopy diaper, shoes, and a coat) and if he woke up I would change him and put him in to more appropriate napping attire. He ended up sleeping like that for almost 2 hrs because he was just wiped. I even vacuumed around him and checked on him multiple times to make sure he was ok and he didn't move a muscle.
He did have a sweet zipper mark on his face when he woke up though. And I enjoyed my Wendy's in peace.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
If you're interested in donating a few bucks, check out the list of needs here: Modest Needs
Monday, December 21, 2009
I love making baby food because it's cheaper than buying the jars, allows me to control what he's eating, and because of my hippiness, allows me to make sure that he's eating primarily organic. You don't need a fancy baby food maker though - a steamer basket and a blender works great! I love these for storing the food: http://babycubes.com/. Watch the site for sales, because I got all of mine for 75% off last year.
Jack's favorite "breakfast" seems to be apples with blueberries, with an occasional smashed banana mixed in. For lunch/dinner, he enjoys "Momma's Thanksgiving Feast" which is sweet potatoes, cranberries, apples, pears, turkey, peas, and carrots all steamed and blended together.
My newest creation is "Jackie Bear's Hell's Kitchen" meal. Troy worked for 3 or 4 seasons on Hell's Kitchen, and as you know if you watch the show, Chef Ramsey is all about his f$#king risotto!
Jack's baby risotto (recipe based on "Cooking for Baby" cookbook from Williams and Sonoma. Another rockstar gift from Megan!):
1/2 cup of Arborio rice
1 cup of no sodium added chix stock or water
little bit of olive oil
veggie of your choice (I used peas)
meat of your choice (I used organic chicken thighs. They were cheaper than breasts (hee hee) and have more flavor
Bring water to a boil and add rice. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 15 minutes, stirring once. Fluff with fork. In blender, mix veggie and chicken - add to rice. Will be good in the fridge for 3 days, or 3 months in the freezer. I add a bit of water before I serve it to J since it thickens up when cold.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Jack would like to remind everyone, that in these tough economic times, you don't need to spend a lot of money - or any to be happy. One truly only needs a free box from Costco.
And Jack, your Grandpa John would like to remind you and all babies out there that box cars are not "freaking toys". You need to make sure to check the oil, get your lug nuts torqued after 25 miles on new tires, and all windows need to be washed 3 times before they're considered clean.
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
S: hello, this is Sarah
Helicopter parent: yes, this is Mrs. xxxx. I'm trying to register my daughter for a Biology class and need an entry code.
S: I'd be happy to help you with that. Can you please tell me which Biology?
HP: Hold on let me text my daughter and ask her.
S: perhaps you could give me her phone number and I can talk to her directly since she is the student trying to take the class
HP: ok, here is her number. But please wait 30 seconds so that I can text her to tell her that you're calling.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
I donated 50 oz of frozen breastmilk to the friend of a friend with a tongue-tied baby. I can't use the milk for Jack since it contains dairy, so I was happy to find a home for it.
Currently, breastmilk goes for $4 per oz from a milk bank. So....I'm wondering if I would be playing with fate if I claimed $200 in "charitable donations" on my taxes for 2009? What could possibly be more charitable than liquid from ones breasts?
In a perfect world, it would count.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Additionally, thanks to Aunt Connie, we have seen via video he can sign "more" during mealtime.
In blogging news, it is time to change the name of this blog! I'll keep the address, but am looking for a new name and layout design. Please post your recommendations for a new blog name in the comments sections! I love your creativity ladies (and Dad who reads this but can't figure out how to post a comment...), so help me out!
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Troy was changing his diaper (Jack's diaper, not Troy's) and as usual, Jack was crying because for some reason he hates diaper changes from 6:00 pm - 6:00 am. Anyhoo, I walked in to his room and sat down on his chair to get ready to feed him when Troy had finished.
Jack looked over at me and said "Mommmmma"; it was clear as day and both Troy and I heard it!
He's also been saying "ba ba" for the last few days, and makes a popping sound which I think might be "Poppa"(?).
Looks like I need to stop swearing...
My little sleeping angel:
Note: Mom & Dad, I'll explain the Kevin Spacey reference at dinner on Sunday.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Police: Drunk 'ninja' impaled on First Hill fence post
A drunk man believing himself to be a ninja drew the help of Seattle police and aid crews late Monday after impaling himself on a First Hill fence post, a police spokesperson said.
The man's ninja skills, it seems, were bested by the 4- to 5-foot-tall fence he attempted to vault, according to the police statement. He ended up stuck on a spike atop the fence in the 600 block of Seventh Avenue.
After an officer in the area heard the man's screams and located him at about 11:15 p.m., Seattle Fire Department personnel were able to free the man. They took him to Harborview Medical Center, where officers attempted to ascertain exactly what the would-be silent assassin was up to.
"The male claimed he was not being chased, but rather he thought he was a ninja and would be able to successfully leap over the 4'-5' fence," the police spokesman said in a statement. "Clearly he was overconfident in his abilities, no doubt bolstered by alcohol."
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
I am cold-hearted and the pleas for leniency don't sway me. I continue on with a maniacal grin on my face. I get closer and closer and an evil laughter begins to escape from my mouth. At this point, the pump is crying - leaking the milk that I just pumped - and telling me to consider his family. I call him a liar; pumps are machine and don't have family. Besides, his demise means I have more time with MY family.
My mind is made up, and I refuse to bend. I push the accelerator down to the floor (do steamrollers have accelerators??), and roll over the pump as he lets out a sickening scream. The pump is no more, and I am free.
Monday, November 2, 2009
Monday, October 19, 2009
1 part pumpkin
Stir together, and add in the best homemade donuts EVER. Pop in the oven, bake at 350, and voila, the best day ever.
We call this one "pumpkins bitches": Jack with an evil grin on his face while he pulls my hair and flips the camera the bird:
Friday, October 16, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Sunday, September 20, 2009
In health news, Jack started to poop blood again about a week ago, so back to the doctor for us...again. Turns out the official diagnosis is milk colitis, so I'm off delicious dairy...again. I can try introducing it back in when Jack is 9 months. Le sigh.
Jack and Uncle Jim taking a nap after a long day of playing:
Mr. Grown up sitting up all on his own:
Momma & Jackie snuggling in his crib:Proof that expensive toys are a waste of money...:
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Jack has spent the last month staring at us while we eat and drink, which is a sign that he is ready for solids. We're waiting until 6 months just to be cautious about food allergies, but have started to spoon feed him breastmilk during dinner time. Given that he spends 25% of his day watching people eat*, he knows EXACTLY what to do. The first time we put a spoon near his mouth he opened up wide and practically attacked our hand trying to shove the spoon in.
He also loves to play with his sippy cup, and probably gets about 1 tblsp total out of it during a 30 minute dinner. If we hold it in his mouth he'll chug the water, but we usually just let him play with it himself. It keeps him occupied and is good practice!
*there was one day where Jack was watching Uncle Jim eat some pot roast so intently that I think Jim actually felt guilty about eating in front of him.
Friday, September 4, 2009
And finally, Jack and Poppa doing a dance to the BeeGee's song "Stayin Alive to get some boobie milk:
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Upon arriving in Los Angeles, he took in the scene with Momma
Decided to hit the beach and ride the waves
To get the sand out of his diaper, he thought that perhaps a bath might be nice. This was also a teachable moment for momma: always turn the flash off for up close photos
Since he was in town, he decided to look up his future wife Lyla. Jack and Lyla have been betrothed since they were zygotes. His feelings are only a little bit hurt that she doesn't look at all interested in him...
He also got to hang out with with two of his favorite people: godmommy Elisa and godmommy Anne! And finally, after all that traveling with Momma and Aunt Amy, he just wanted to take a bath and have some personal time. He is usually very active during baths, but for some reason he wouldn't even make eye contact with me during this one.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Thank you for your love and friendship, and for giving me our son; you two are the joys in my life. Can't wait for our next 5, 10, 50 years together sweetie.
50 Reasons Why I Love You
1) Because you’re my dream guy
2) Because you always put others first
3) Because you never hesitate to help someone out even if that means they need to use your truck for the 50th time that month
4) Because there is no one on earth that makes a better sandwich than you
5) Because you think that rubbing my feet is “fun”
6) Because not only do you not make fun of my paranoia, but you actually encourage it (flare gun by the bed)
7) Because at our wedding you RAN to the alter to the Superman theme song
8) Because you understand that my Law and Order addiction is an actual disease recognized by the American Medical Association
9) Because I’ve loved you since I was 17…an infatuation over 3+ years isn’t a crush, it’s destiny
10) Because you know when I need my space, but are always willing to give me a snuggle when I need that too
11) Because you love God as much as I do
12) Because you’re nice to all my friends and even my anti-social ex roommate (this was Megan’s contribution)
13) Because every time I see you I think of what a lucky lady I am
14) Because other women are jealous of me because you’re so hot!
15) Because you have a wonderful and loving family
16) Because you make great stuffed animal porn
17) Because when we’re watching a movie that has a scene in it that someone gets stabbed, gets their head cut off, or gets pierced by a stick you never fail to say “I guess he got the POINT”, or “I guess he let it go to his head”
18) Because even though you won’t kill spiders for me, you’ll remove them from my presence
19) Because you make a mean meatloaf
20) Because people have given you nicknames like “wonder boyfriend”, “wonder fiancé”, and “wonder husband”
21) Because you built me a special chapstick holder for my bedside table
22) Because you carry chapstick in your pocket for me because I WILL lose mine
23) Because you think my fart jokes are funny
24) Because you let me make fart noises on your arm
25) Because you think my anal-retentive budgeting is “cute”
26) Because right now you’re a great key grip, but soon you’ll be an amazing movie director
27) Because you sing a silly song to food that you love before you eat it “my name is “punkin” bread, and I am tasty”
28) Because when you call me an ice queen it’s not because I’m mean, but because I won’t let you turn up the thermostat because I want to save money
29) Because every girl should be so lucky as to marry a bona fide trained Ninja
30) Because you can do the robot better than anyone I’ve ever seen
31) Because you always put the toilet seat down
32) Because you always hold my hand in public, when we’re driving, when we’re at the movies, or even when we’re sitting on the couch
33) Because you do an Arnold Schwarzenegger impression that’s the best I’ve ever seen
34) Because you draw me pictures on the bathroom mirror to brighten my day
35) Because “you have the most beautiful blue eyes”
36) Because you think that it’s ok for me to just have a Costco hot dog for dinner
37) Because if I accidentally forget to say “I Love You” on the phone, you’ll call me back
38) Because you think chicks with short hair are hotter than those with long hair
39) Because you think my glasses make me look “hot” instead of “nerdy”
40) Because when I say “I love you, you know” you KNOW that the next line is “I know”
41) Because you will spend five hours mowing my grandpa’s lawn
42) Because you never give me grief about ordering water at a restaurant even though you know I’m just going to drink your soda
43) Because your idea of a Christmas card is drawing me a picture of two reindeer(s) humping
44) Because we can have a great time anywhere
45) Because when we go out to dinner and I say “let’s go some place nice” you know I mean Burger King instead of Taco Bell
46) Because we bought each other the same card for our 1 year anniversary
47) Because you always spend the time to pick out the best/silliest cards for me
48) Because you always give my mom hugs
49) Because when I start to take myself too seriously, you always let me know in a funny way that doesn’t hurt my feelings
50) Because you choo-choo-choosed me
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
A big problem for us has been his sleep. Because we had to stop using the swaddle after he rolled from his back to his belly while fully swaddled, his sleep went from 10 hrs in a stretch...to 2-3. He even used to be able to put himself to sleep if he was drowsy enough.
So, last night I swaddled him for bed and let him fall asleep in his crib. We then watched the video monitor like a pair of hawk parents. After his first REM cycle (45 min), I snuck in there and removed his arms from the swaddle but left his belly and legs all snuggly in there. It worked! He slept until midnight at which point he needed a quick rock to get back to sleep. Then he didn't wake up again until 4 am! Since the quick rock was so quick, I count it as sleeping almost through the night.
Besides Jack, two other things forgot what it was like to sleep through the night - my boobs. I woke up this am and ouch!
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
I also did some research last night and it sounds like he is on what they call a "nursing strike" which is basically an inexplicable freakout at the boob. Le sigh. The good news is that it only lasts between 2-4 days.
And then we came home and he ate calmly from the boob like nothing had ever happened.
And in "that's my boy" news, Jack pooped so loudly in the waiting room at the doctor that a 7 year old boy got the uncontrollable giggles.
Jack is 16 lbs and gaining 3/4 of an oz a day which is off the charts good. She also said he was one of the most alert 14 week olds she has ever seen, and that cognitively he is very advanced. Looks like all the CSI Miami and Golden Girls that I make him watch is working!
I kid about the shows of course. He is only allowed to watch YouTube videos of pandas sneezing.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Jack was a good boy when he was happy, but whenever I tried to feed him, he just straight up lost his shit. Every feeding was like a battle with a UFC fighter, but the ref Big John was not there to stop the fight when I tried to tap out.
Jack was arching his back and screaming bloody murder for about half of his feedings today. Naps were a fight but I did get him to take a 2 hr nap which is rare...I think he just gave up after being so tired from screaming despite everything I tried to do. And no, I didn't let him cry it out alone in his crib - he finally fell asleep in my arms after walking around for what felt like an eternity. I took his temp, but he doesn't have a fever. I gave him a little Tylenol because he was acting like he was in so much pain. I haven't given him meds since his circumcision, but I was at a loss for what's wrong with my baby.
Tonight he was in rare form and couldn't be comforted by my boob which is usually a no-brainer. Troy suggested I pump and so I did and then gave Jack a bottle. He calmed down but wanted more, so I tried to put him back on the boob and it was just the same thing all over again. I pumped some more and gave him another bottle which finally knocked him out. Troy was laying on the floor of Jack's room rubbing my legs while I just bawled.
I'm going to call the ped tomorrow because I can't keep going like this. I'm trying to work 50 hrs from home while taking care of a 3 month old and it's just not working when lately every feeding and nap has turned in to a 2 hour fight that I can't win.
I'm just over the feeding fights, and feel like an utter failure. I don't drink, but I may start.
Friday, July 17, 2009
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Update 7:30 am: Jack won't roll again so I think Troy is starting to think I made it up. Oh, and apparently rolling is REALLY exciting...so exciting that he didn't want to sleep at all last night and woke up at 3 am, 4 am, 5 am, and for good at 6am this morning. Oy
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Monday, July 6, 2009
Saturday, July 4, 2009
And happy 3 month birthday to Mr. Jack Barry! I cannot believe how quickly the time has flown. 90 days ago, the lord blessed your father and I with the sweetest, most beautiful baby I have ever seen.
Jack, you have only been in this world for a short time, but you immediately became the most important thing ever in my life. You are the light of our lives and Poppa and I love you more than anything in the whole universe.
Even with how much we love you, we still like to mess with your hair during bath time. Despite only being 3 months old, you can pull off "punk rock mowhawk baby". We love you Jackie!