Sunday, August 17, 2008

My baby will be a hippy

My wonderful cousin-in-law Erica emailed me a question this weekend about what kind of diapers we'll be using. She knows I've talked about cloth diaps in the past, and was curious about what the Goonie will be wearing on it's soon to be adorable butt.

My reasons for tush wrappin' the Goonie in cloth:
  • Fantastic for the environment. A disposable diaper takes 500 years+ to break down in a landfill.
  • Babies who wear cloth diapers rarely have diaper rash.
  • They're no longer all prefolds and plastic pants. They're easy and cute.
  • I'm a bit of a hippy, and will raise my child as one.
  • CD (cloth diapers) are also known to be way more leak proof that disposables.
  • The BEST part: a child that is cloth diapered, will potty train up to 6 months sooner. Um, sign me up!

Oh, and since you know I'm cheap as well, my preliminary calculations show that we'll save about $1,200 in two years on diapers.



I've done a ton of research on this, and anyone who knows me, knows that I have an Excel file full of data on this topic. I've decided on a diaper for the newborn stage, and then one for once the Goonie surpasses the 10 pound mark. WARNING: if you are used to cloth diapers from the 80's, you're about to be surprised by the freaking cuteness and ease of today's diapers.

The newborn diaper we will be using (Kissaluvs size 0):

The newborn diaper cover we'll be using (Thirsties):

The diaper we will be using once the Goonie hits 10 lbs. They grow with the kid using snaps on the front middle and fit babies 10-35 lbs (BumGenius 3.0):

If you are interested in learning more about cloth diapers, http://www.cottonbabies.com/ and http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/ are great resources!


No comments: