Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tits and ass

Yes mom, I really titled a post "tits and ass". And yes, it's too late for charm school for me.

Tits: breastfeeding is going well. I think Jack has teeth, but other than a painful initial latch on my left boob, we're doing ok. He's eating a ton, and I swear he must be gaining a ton of weight considering how much he's chowing down! During the day he cluster feeds every 90-120 minutes, but has been going about 3 hours during the night. A typical middle of the night conversation between Troy and I:

Troy: babe, Jack is hungry
Me (in a sleepy stupor): he can't be, I just fed him
Troy: sweetie, that was 3 hours ago
Me: no, really I just finished feeding him. (looks down at chest and sees that once again the body pillow has been trying to latch on to my nipple). Damn. Ok, bring him to me.

Ass: We were planning on waiting until 1 week in to start Jack on his cloth diapers. But on day 3, after 2 blowouts in a row in his Pampers, I decided I couldn't take the chemical crap on my child's ass any longer.

Overall, cloth diapering ROCKS! I really like it and Jack seems pretty happy with his big fat ass. We've had a few blowouts in the cloth diapers, but 99% of those have been user error. The laundry has been very easy and not at all a big deal. We do a load every 1-2 days and it probably adds about 15 min of work to my day.

A cloth diaper review:
-Kissaluvs size 0: LOVE these! They're so soft and contain even the nastiest of baby poos. The downside is that they're not super absorbent so they get soaked pretty quickly. With any cloth diaper, you need to change your kid more often than disposable. We're at this crazy junction of not wanting to wake him up by changing his diaper, but not wanting him to sit in pee all day.
-Thirsties xs diaper covers: they kick so much ass. Have contained all but 1 blowout that was user error. So cute, and make his tushie adorable.
-Green Mountain Diaper prefolds: eh, not loving these. Prefolds are easy enough, but I can't seem to get these right enough to contain poo. I'm going to keep trying since I bought so many!

I'm also loving my Ergo baby carrier with infant insert (thanks Robin!)! When Jack is in def-con motherfucking MELTDOWN mode, this seems to calm him and allows me to retain my sanity.

My Moby wrap is great, but I'm having problems getting the last part of the crazy puzzle to be tight enough to support his head. I'm going to have to check out more YouTube videos to figure this out.

I ordered an adorable sling from Etsy a few weeks ago, and it should be here this week! I'm excited to try it out because it's easier to throw on than the Moby for quick holds.

And if you don't like this post, Jack is gonna knock you out! Bring it!


7 comments:

L said...

LOL This post is awesome! & the picture of Jack is adorable!

Mary said...

My god, I love you! :)
Jack is adorable!

Anne Bailey said...

Why is that picture so cute? It's TOO cute.

Tammy Spence said...

Funny post Sniffer! Jack is adorable. I bet Betty is the best aunt. Miss you
T

Shannon said...

I love this post! And the picture of Jack? So stinkin' cute!

Audrey said...

I love everything about this post. Good info on the diapers, I don't know if we'll go that route but you're convincing me to consider it now!

Glad everything is going so well with Jack sweets! He's a handsome little devil!

Shay Brannan said...

so precious...and so normal. again, congrats on making a cute kid! :) i want one now!!