Monday, February 14, 2011

It's happening

My "little baby" is turning in to a big boy.  Yesterday his uncle Scotty (one of two) saw him and said "Baby Jack, when did you become a man"?

And they say that kids always reflect parts of their parents.  Jack has my pasty white skin and blonde coloring, my love of organizing and cleaning, a manic obsession with lights being turned off when you leave a room and chairs being pushed in, and my dislike of most vegetables.  To date, Jack has Troy's furrowed brow scowl, and love of adventure, but nothing has really screamed "Troy".

Until Saturday...

My wonderful father-in-law Barry likes to tell a story about Troy when he was about 4 years old.  Troy is known as "mumbles" because since he could first talk he has talked at almost a whisper or his mouth sounds like it's so full of marbles you can't understand what he is say.  Verbal from The Usual Suspects was likely modeled after Troy.

One day when Troy was little, Barry took him to get his allergy shots.  They were standing on a street corner and all of the sudden Troy yelled "dad that lady is FAT".  Barry recounts how in Troy's whole life he never spoke above a whisper, and yet he chooses that to shout.

Flash forward to Saturday.  Jack and I are at Fred Meyer when a very large man walks past us.  Jack yells "Hi Santa Cwas"!  Without stopping to think, I turn the cart out of the aisle and start heading the other way.  Jack, thinking Santa was simply playing coy yelled "Hi hi hi Santa.  Ho ho ho".

With all the rain we've been having this winter, I had hoped a sinkhole would develop in the baking aisle of Fred Meyer.  Alas, it did not.

1 comment:

flojat said...

Aw, Jack! I'm sure you made your daddy proud, LOL!